Smart Futures — get paid to have a great experience of work.
Smart Futures is a ten month programme which starts with paid work experience during Easter* and summer. It will give you a variety of transferable skills to give you a head start. Smart Futures can make you more employable, helping you with your next steps whether that’s university, college, an apprenticeship or a job.
A mentor will support you throughout the ten months and advise you on one of the biggest career choices you will make: the first step in your working life. You will also be invited to a series of events throughout your final school year.
How to apply
To be eligible for the programme you must be:
- Currently in Year 12 (England) or Fifth Year (Scotland)
- Eligible for free school meals at some point in the past six years (i.e. household income has been less than £16,190 in England or £16,105 in Scotland)
- Attending a state school
- Studying any combination of A-level/International Baccalaureate/BTEC Level 3s/National/Highers
- Ambitious and motivated to join the world of work
- Looking for a great paid work experience this summer or Easter* that will help you secure a job after school, or a place at university.
*Easter programme only available in London and Manchester
Smart Futures programme set the building blocks for Mohammed’s career.Watch the video
Prabhjot shares her experience on the Smart Futures programme, and how it has made getting into her career of choice less of an ideal and more of a goal.Watch the video
“Before Smart Futures I was a bit reserved and not sure of where I was going, I wouldn’t have known what to say in an interview. But since the programme I have spoken in front of my whole year group and I just didn’t think about it, I knew I could do it. Smart Futures has opened up a lot of doors for me, I can say I have a whole range of experiences now!”